Somers Paper Nautilus invites you to enter a short story writing competition. Write a fiction or non-fiction story inspired by the theme … Shell
Entry is free. Submit your story in one of the following categories:
Open Fiction Fiction story. Word limit: 500
(J) Garry Disher Prize $150
- Open Non-fiction Non-fiction story. Word limit: 500
(J) Cameron McCullough Prize $150
- Children* Under 8 years. Fiction or non-fiction story. Word limit: 300
(J) Maryann Ballantyne 1st prize $30 book voucher, 2nd prize $15 book voucher
- Middle years 8 to 12 years. Fiction or non-fiction story. Word limit: 300
(J) Wendy Orr 1st prize $30 book voucher, 2nd prize $15 book voucher
- Teens 13 to 18 years. Fiction or non-fiction story. Word limit: 300
(J) Danielle Binks 1st prize $30 book voucher, 2nd prize $15 book voucher
Entries close on Sunday, 15 April 2018
Submit your entry/s to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Somers Paper Nautilus, PO Box 338, Somers VIC 3927
Winners announced on Monday, 14 May 2018
Judges: We are delighted to welcome authors Garry Disher and Wendy Orr, children’s book publisher Maryann Ballantyne, along with writer, literary agent and YA specialist Danielle Binks, and publisher Cameron McCullough to our judging panel. Each will judge one category, as above (J).
Submissions will be judged on originality, creativity and theme, and must meet entry guidelines.
Please ensure your submission/s meets the following conditions:
- Separate cover sheet with title, author name, category, phone number, email, postcode.
- Legible, hand-written stories are acceptable only for Children under 8 years category*.
- Send work as a doc file or as printed hard copy for all other categories.
- Do not include your name on the Word file – to assist in anonymous reading.
- Title and page number on each page, typed, Times New Roman font, double spaced.
- Word count must be included and limits not exceeded.
- Works must be original, unpublished and must not have been submitted elsewhere.
- Entries must be received by 11.59pm on Sunday, 15 April 2018.
- Only entries that meet all criteria will be considered.
- Judges decisions are final.
- Nautilus retains the right to publish any/all entries in the Somers Paper Nautilus.
- Fiction & non-fiction categories open to all except Nautilus staff and sponsors.
- Authors under 18 years to enter the appropriate category per age group.
- Maximum of two submissions per author.
- Winners agree to their name being published in Somers Paper Nautilus and WP News.
Sponsors and judges
We are grateful for the generous support of the Bendigo Community Bank as major sponsor for the open categories; and Farrell’s Bookshop, Petersen’s Bookshop and Somers Paper Nautilus as sponsors in the children’s categories. The Mornington Peninsula News Group’s (MPNG) Western Port News has generously provided advertising for the competition.
Our judges Maryann Ballantyne, Danielle Binks, Garry Disher, Cameron McCullough and Wendy Orr are sharing their wisdom, expertise and time as they take part in judging. For this we thank them!